Know what is collected and how it is used
Bear Networks has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to our users privacy. This document discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices for this website: www.bear.net.
- INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE Bear Networks is the sole owner of the information collected on this site. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to others in ways different from what is disclosed in this statement. Bear Networks collects information from our users at several different points on our website.
- REGISTRATION In order to use portions of this website, a user must first complete a registration or signup form. During this process a user is required to give their contact information (e.g. name, email address, country of residence). This information is used to contact the user about the services on our site for which they have expressed interest.
- LOG FILES We use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer the site, track user's movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. The webserver logs are are not linked to personally identifiable information.
- INFORMATION SHARING We may share aggregated demographic information with our partners and advertisers. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person. e.g. 40% of our users reside in the USA, 10% reside in Germany.
- LINKS In an effort to provide additional value to our visitors, Bear Networks contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we Bear Networks, are not responsible for the privacy practices, or the content of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Web site.
- NEWSLETTER / MAILING LISTS If a user wishes to subscribe to any of our newsletters or mailing lists, we ask for contact information such as name and email address.
- SURVEYS & CONTESTS From time-to-time our site may request information from users via surveys or contests. Participation in these surveys or contests is completely voluntary and the user therefore has a choice whether or not to disclose this information. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code, age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and to award prizes. Survey information will be used for purposes of monitoring or improving the use and satisfaction of this site.
- PUBLIC FORUMS This site makes chat rooms, forums, message boards, available to its users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
- SECURITY This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control.
- SPECIAL OFFERS We send all new members a welcoming email to verify password and username. Established members may occasionally receive information on products, services, special deals, or a newsletter. Out of respect for the privacy of our users we present the option to not receive these types of communications. Please see our choice and opt-out below.
- SITE AND SERVICE UPDATES We also send the user site and service announcement updates. Members are not able to un-subscribe from service announcements, which contain important information about the service. We communicate with the user to provide requested services and in regards to issues relating to their account via email.
- CORRECTION/UPDATING PERSONAL INFORMATION If a user's personally identifiable information changes (such as your zip code), or if a user no longer desires our service, we will endeavor to provide a way to correct, update or remove that user's personal data provided to us. A form is provided to correct or update your information within the same section of the site where you initially signed up. e.g. bear profiles can be modified in the 'bears' section of the site, bear club information may be modified within the clubs section of the site.
- CHOICE/OPT-OUT Our users are given the opportunity to 'opt-out' of having their information used for purposes not directly related to our site at the point where we ask for the information.
It is optional for the user to provide demographic information (such as education level and gender), and unique identifiers, but encouraged so we can provide a more personalized experience on our site.
For instance, by setting a cookie on our site, the user might not have to log in a password more than once, thereby saving time while on our site. If a user rejects the cookie, they may still use our site. The only drawback to this is that the user may be limited in some areas of our site. Cookies can also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our site.
However, even if the third party is affiliated with Bear Networks, Bear Networks has no control over these linked sites who each have separate privacy and data collection practices, independent of Bear Networks. Bear Networks has no responsibility or liability for these independent policies or actions and is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites.
We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information. These linked sites are only for your convenience and you therefore access them at your own risk.
As Bear Networks seeks to protect the integrity of its web site and the links placed upon it and hereby requests any feedback on not only its own site, but for sites it links to as well.
This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Web site (www.bear.net).
We may also serve advertising from our own server. These ads may also set cookies in your browser. These cookies do not contain any personally identifiable information.
Users who no longer wish to receive our electronic newsletter (mailing lists) may opt-out of receiving these communications by following the unsubscribe instruction included within in each email. The exception being Site and Service Notices as described above.
Effective date: 1-July-2000
- 25 May 2002
- added link to site cookie reporting/clearing page.
- 19 June 2002
- document formatting changes only, no content changes.